Packing for storage is different than packing for moving. When you pack for moving, you’re placing items in boxes for a limited amount of time and the bustle and jostle of a large truck are your main concerns.
With storage, however, you don’t need to worry as much about items surviving transport. Your bigger concern should be how well the stacked boxes will last over time, and how to utilize your storage space to capacity. You should use unified boxes so they can fit tightly in the storage space, and have your items well organized for easy retrieval.
All of these factors mean one thing: packing for storage is a science.
Here at Father & Son, we know how important your belongings are to you, so we offer professional packing for storage services. Our expert packers make sure that each item is properly protected and placed in a sturdy box. The boxes are clearly labeled and delivered to our storage facility where they will be carefully stored.
With professional packing, you know your storage items will be safe and preserved.
Tips for Packing for Storage
If you would rather do the packing yourself, we offer a few tips for best results.
- Clearly label each box with all contents. This will help you find items later when you want to retrieve them.
- Use just 2 or 3 sizes of boxes for better stacking.
- Don’t fill boxes with too many heavy items. Pack heavier items at the bottom of the boxes and fill the rest with lighter items.
- Avoid sealing items in plastic bags; this can lead to mildew.
- Lay books flat in boxes instead of standing them on end. This protects their spines.
- Use packing paper and bubble wrap to cushion breakable items like picture frames and dishes.
- Use wardrobe boxes to pack clothing
- Keep dust out of your boxes by sealing the edges with packing tape.
- Prepare power tools for storage by draining their fuel tanks before you pack them.
- Wrap lamp shades with packing paper and stack them inside each other before placing them in a box.
- Keep bolts and hardware in small zippered plastic bags and tape the bags to the items they belong to.
- Fill each box completely so it doesn’t collapse if something is placed on top of it.
For more information about packing for storage–or to schedule an estimate for your own packing job–contact us at Father & Son Moving and Storage.
Give us a call today (800) 948-3232 to learn more about our storage pricing, and to receive a free estimate!